Skip to main content

Sara's Story



Why I became a Nurse-midwife?
Sara with her nieces & nephews
I have always been fascinated with women’s health and childbirth. I remember even in high school, watching many birth stories. At that time, I had no interest in even becoming a nurse. As the years past, and being witness to my nieces (Sofia-11, Maria-10, Lisa -5) and Nephews (Michael-3, Paul-1) births, my passion grew. I worked my way through nursing school, and did several types of nursing from long term care facility to a busy emergency room and finally labor and delivery. I had just started midwifery school when my first nephew was born, and finished the week before my second nephew was born.
Being present at my youngest nephew Paul’s birth was a lot different than the others. I had experience and knowledge that made me feel that I could watch over my sister-in-law better. We were able to respect her wishes while assisting in the safe arrival of her son. I would have liked to catch Mr. Paul, but his momma had me in a headlock. Luckily that doesn’t happen every birth!
I feel lucky to have learned about pregnancy and childbirth simultaneously from both the Medical and the Midwifery Model of Care. The Midwifery Model of Care views pregnancy and birth as physiologic (normal and natural) not pathologic (disease). Pregnancy and birth can become pathologic, this is why you have a Certified Nurse-Midwife to identify when that line is crossed and refer you to a physician. Physicians and medicine are occasionally required to ensure the safety of mom and baby when a pathologic issue presents. 
I have been witness to many interventional births, as well, as physiologic births. There is nothing more beautiful than a physiologic birth. There are times that interventions are necessary for the health of the mother or the baby. I have learned to discuss options with the mother and family about why her birth has fallen off the “normal” labor curve. This discussion includes: what her options are and what EVIDENCE BASED interventions might be necessary. And then I accompany her through what comes next. Mothers need to feel valued, empowered and understand their choices.
When I graduated midwifery school, I searched for a place to be able to provide safe, evidence based Midwifery Model of Care. That search brought me to Goshen Birth Center and the Fairhaven OBGYN midwife practice. I am a part of a team of five Certified Nurse Midwives. Our team has a variety of skills, experience and knowledge. We have very supportive physicians that respect the Midwife Model of Care and the birth center. I’m glad to be a part of a birth culture that respects and encourages women’s bodies to do what they were made to do. In my work as a midwife I want to help women maintain physiologic health and birth as much as possible.

About Sara: Sara Linkey CNM is now settled into her home in the countryside of Elkhart County where she lives with her husband Justin and their two dogs Beau & Teddy. Pictured is Sara with her nieces and nephews. She is grateful she was able bear witness to each of their births and welcome them earth-side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe in VBAC- thoughts from a midwife

“Once a cesarean, always a cesarean.”  That often-heard adage does not reflect the reality of birth today.  While it can seem astoundingly easy to end up with a cesarean surgery for the birth of a baby (roughly 1 in 3 babies in the United States are born this way), finding a provider to support a TOLAC (trial of labor after cesarean) and VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) can seem astoundingly hard, depending on the part of the country you live in.                  There’s always things out of our control that contribute to cesarean section being the choice way to have a safe birth for mom and baby: a baby coming breech, a pregnancy of twins where the first baby is coming breech, baby’s heart rate in labor becoming abnormal, placenta over the cervix, mother having certain active infections, some medical conditions of mother or baby.  Despite all this, the World Health Organization says the number of women birthing by cesarean should be closer to 10-15%.  I am happy to be part of a
When The Midwife Gives Birth… When a midwife is pregnant she gets lots of questions about her own preferences surrounding her own pregnancy and birth. LOTS. OF. QUESTIONS. Morgan De Kleine CNM, a midwife at Fairhaven OBGYN graciously answered some of those questions for us to share with you.          Which midwife did deliver your baby? Our son was delivered by Anne, under the supervision of Beverly. They both did a great job taking care of us, and we were happy that we got two midwives for the price of one! Sara and Julia were working at Fairhaven that day, so they came by to visit us at the end of their office day. We also had a wonderful team of nurses caring for us. Diana assisted during our birth, and Charlene cared for us after the birth. Elizabeth and Charlene did our home visits at 24 and 48 hours after the birth. What is your birth story? This is the short version! I woke up at 3:30 am with contractions. Within an hour, they were 2-3 minutes apart, a

For a new year... by Betsy Black

As the women gathered around the table there was laughter. I slid into the last open place at the head of the table, all 8 chairs full. It was unexpected how strongly I felt the warm squeeze in my chest. I had gathered together these women, on this night, in this place so I could share these words. These were the women I worked with every day. Women dedicated to serving the childbearing families of our community just like me. It had been a year of hard work, uncomfortable conversations, and change. Stress held us hostage sometimes. Like any group of people working together we are susceptible to negativity and resentment fueled by miscommunication. We needed a reminder, a call to attention of sorts to stop and choose grace, kindness, and positivity. We are still getting to know each other, our work relationships deepening and trust building. Each of us holds the common thread of our commitment and passion for birth, but we also each have a life at home. Lives where we ar