Skip to main content

Why I donated my milk by Anne Brookhyser

Anne with daughter Elsa
In honor of World Breastfeeding Month, I’d like to share a bit from one of the aspects of my own experience. As a busy mom, I missed volunteering and being involved in my community as much as I had before children. I am one of the “lucky” women with oversupply rather than low milk supply issues. My body thinks I gave birth to twins and it takes it a while to realize that it only needs to make enough milk for one baby.
Oversupply can make women more prone to plugged ducts and mastitis (breast infection) and leads to fussier babies as they try to deal with the strong milk letdown reflex. Knowing my body’s tendency to make too much milk, I decided with my last baby that I wanted to be proactive and try to down regulate my supply. I wanted to decrease the engorgement and discomfort. As I worked to decrease my supply I ended up with extra breast milk in my freezer.
I used a manual pump and pumped on one side every morning while my daughter nursed on the other. It was 15 minutes out of my day and I collected about a gallon of milk per month for the first year of my daughter’s life.
As a labor and delivery nurse and a certified lactation consultant I knew the value of breast milk. And I knew just what to do with it. I decided to donate the it to The Milk Bank.   
I contacted the Milk Bank and completed a health questionnaire similar to screening for blood donors. They confirmed my good health with my provider and took some blood samples to test for diseases that could be passed through breast milk.  Once all my tests were cleared, I was approved to be a breast milk donor. The Milk Bank sent me instructions on how to handle the milk and all the plastic baggies I needed for storage.  
It was a win win- my supply was reduced AND I was able to contribute to the community’s health. The milk collected by the Milk Bank is pasteurized and used for a variety of uses. Babies that are premature, have illnesses or disorders, adopted babies are all candidates for receiving the milk. The Milk Bank serves many of the hospital NICU’s in the midwest.
I felt good sharing my “liquid gold” with babies that needed it. Now I’m a midwife working at the Goshen Birth Center where we recently became a breast milk collection depot for the Milk Bank. I am one of thousands of women who chose to donate their extra breast milk. Please consider joining us and becoming a milk donor today! 

Anne Brookhyser is a certified nurse-midwife and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant with Fairhaven OB/Gyn. She attends births at Goshen Birth Center. She is the married mother of two children, both breastfed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe in VBAC- thoughts from a midwife

“Once a cesarean, always a cesarean.”  That often-heard adage does not reflect the reality of birth today.  While it can seem astoundingly easy to end up with a cesarean surgery for the birth of a baby (roughly 1 in 3 babies in the United States are born this way), finding a provider to support a TOLAC (trial of labor after cesarean) and VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) can seem astoundingly hard, depending on the part of the country you live in.                  There’s always things out of our control that contribute to cesarean section being the choice way to have a safe birth for mom and baby: a baby coming breech, a pregnancy of twins where the first baby is coming breech, baby’s heart rate in labor becoming abnormal, placenta over the cervix, mother having certain active infections, some medical conditions of mother or baby.  Despite all this, the World Health Organization says the number of women birthing by cesarean should be closer to 10-15%.  I am happy to be part of a
When The Midwife Gives Birth… When a midwife is pregnant she gets lots of questions about her own preferences surrounding her own pregnancy and birth. LOTS. OF. QUESTIONS. Morgan De Kleine CNM, a midwife at Fairhaven OBGYN graciously answered some of those questions for us to share with you.          Which midwife did deliver your baby? Our son was delivered by Anne, under the supervision of Beverly. They both did a great job taking care of us, and we were happy that we got two midwives for the price of one! Sara and Julia were working at Fairhaven that day, so they came by to visit us at the end of their office day. We also had a wonderful team of nurses caring for us. Diana assisted during our birth, and Charlene cared for us after the birth. Elizabeth and Charlene did our home visits at 24 and 48 hours after the birth. What is your birth story? This is the short version! I woke up at 3:30 am with contractions. Within an hour, they were 2-3 minutes apart, a

For a new year... by Betsy Black

As the women gathered around the table there was laughter. I slid into the last open place at the head of the table, all 8 chairs full. It was unexpected how strongly I felt the warm squeeze in my chest. I had gathered together these women, on this night, in this place so I could share these words. These were the women I worked with every day. Women dedicated to serving the childbearing families of our community just like me. It had been a year of hard work, uncomfortable conversations, and change. Stress held us hostage sometimes. Like any group of people working together we are susceptible to negativity and resentment fueled by miscommunication. We needed a reminder, a call to attention of sorts to stop and choose grace, kindness, and positivity. We are still getting to know each other, our work relationships deepening and trust building. Each of us holds the common thread of our commitment and passion for birth, but we also each have a life at home. Lives where we ar