Skip to main content

Mothers Are My Heros by Beverly Lowther CNM

As a midwife, I get a chance to take a small glimpse into the lives of mothers to some extent and what they do for their children.  Having no children of my own, I don't understand the full concept of what it is to be a mother. I feel though that it gives me a “outside looking in” perspective. I have been able to observe mothers and mothering in many various aspects from family, to friends, and clients and just in our culture in general. If I am honest, mothers are my heroes.
I really do feel that mothers are critical part to causing life change and influencing our world. Changing a diaper or wiping the face, or taking someone to soccer may seem insignificant in your mind or may become routine; but for a child it is the world because it is the future. The time that you take to read a book, to listen to a story they tell you even if it doesn't make sense, to pay attention to them in the small moments of life can impact them for life.
It is so easy in the fast pace of life that we all are living to get caught up in activities and schedules, in laundry baskets full of clothes and look past or negate the beauty of growth together. You can’t deny that change comes with its challenges and frustrations. There are learning curves for each parent and child and the dynamics in the back-and-forth between each. Yes! Fluid changes are occurring all around us every day from the physical to the emotional; as a result, we need to give ourselves a little credit and celebrate them.

I remember my mom still to this day taking us children down to the pond to find tadpoles in the spring before they all turned into frogs. She would get her net and her rubber boots on and head to the pond as we all stood watching close by. She was eager to show us the transformation that occurred of the tadpole into a frog. Of course, as children we were mesmerized. I think what stuck with me the most however was that my mother took time for the little things in life. She enhanced our imagination by using hers. She sacrificed so many things for us. She made opportunities when there weren’t any. If there wasn't a program available for her kids to participate in she made one.  To dispel some popular beliefs motherhood is a full-time job! Keep being world changers moms.
May I encourage you not to over schedule you and your kids to feel adequate as a mother or because you think your kids will be better off. Simple is sometimes better. My 9 month old nephew grasp this concept well. Even with several boxes of toys and multiple books, he is more happy to play with a simple wooden spoon on the kitchen floor while his momma cooks dinner. Time is important. Listening is important. Loving is important. And as a midwife I see the importance of taking each moment in. From those very first moments where you hear the heartbeat of a child in the womb to their first cry as they enter the world and beyond. Each of these are what life is really about. You don't get those back. So my advice is don't take them for granted. Be present!
“I would not choose to become a child again but I am looking to children and searching in them for a simplicity and ordinariness that makes being an adult easier to accept and miracles easier to see.” 
 -Macrina Wiekerkehr, Seasons of Your Heart
 "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present." 

 -Bill Keane

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe in VBAC- thoughts from a midwife

“Once a cesarean, always a cesarean.”  That often-heard adage does not reflect the reality of birth today.  While it can seem astoundingly easy to end up with a cesarean surgery for the birth of a baby (roughly 1 in 3 babies in the United States are born this way), finding a provider to support a TOLAC (trial of labor after cesarean) and VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) can seem astoundingly hard, depending on the part of the country you live in.                  There’s always things out of our control that contribute to cesarean section being the choice way to have a safe birth for mom and baby: a baby coming breech, a pregnancy of twins where the first baby is coming breech, baby’s heart rate in labor becoming abnormal, placenta over the cervix, mother having certain active infections, some medical conditions of mother or baby.  Despite all this, the World Health Organization says the number of women birthing by cesarean should be closer to 10-15%.  I am happy to be part of a

Thanks Mom by Beverly Lowther CNM

Funny to think that I never imagined that I would ever be in the medical profession, but my mom influenced my direction by persistently persuading me toward being a “midwife”.  At that time, I knew little of what that word even meant. Since taking my mom’s advice (mothers, never downplay your wisdom and influence on your children) , it has been a journey of realizing truly how well this role fits my adventurous personality because literally there is no day that is the same.   Having a strong desire to serve, I had the opportunity to teach prenatal education classes to women who were low income or in crisis pregnancies prior to my midwifery career. It was during this time, it became very clear to me how influential education and support had on a woman’s experiences and outcomes for pregnancy and birth. I witnessed first-hand the difference between women who invested time to take prenatal education and those who didn’t: in how they labored, how they made choices, and even how they c

A Deep Calling by Lauren Cox CNM

Lauren is the newest member of the midwife team here at the birth center. She is a recent graduate of the school of nurse midwifery at Frontier Nursing University.   In her spare time, Lauren enjoys spending time with family and friends, being outdoors, international travel, playing piano, Latin dancing, and being a member of St. Joseph County Right to Life.     Why midwifery? This is often asked when I share with others what I have been pursuing the past few years.  I suppose the answer is summed up as this: When you feel a calling deep within your soul, you cannot always explain or understand why, but because you are known by a God who knows your heart’s deepest dreams and desires, you respond and trust.  As I reflect on my desires as a child, I never imagined this journey of life would bring me to such a sacred place of caring for new families and being the first to hold a precious new life in my hands. I distinctly remember as a young girl, learning about the immense p